IMG_4394 (Medium)

Blueberry cutting.

 

We continue to work on the acre or so surrounding the house. This week, among other things, we added loquat trees and blueberry cuttings. The lady I got them from believes they are Rabbiteye variety, but since they had not bloomed out when I was there I am not sure. I had to leave them in damp newpaper for way longer than I wanted due to some schedule conflicts, but they seem to be ok. Time will tell.

 

 

 

Loquat

Loquat

Another Loquat

Another Loquat

I got 4 loquat trees for a local lady that only grows loquats. These grew from seed and were root bound in one and three gallon pots. I worked the roots loose and trimmed a few .Because the native soil is heavy clay just 4-8 inches below the surface,  I dug a 2-3 foot square hole and amended the soil with a mixture of what I had. I added fresh compost, wood chip compost, topsoil and mulched them in with several inches of wood chips. We tried several different mostly full sun locations to find out where they will do best.

Eventually, if they do well, they will be over-story trees. For now, I will be planting a legume seed mixture in all the surrounding area for a ground cover when the winter rye completely dies. i have already chopped and dropped the winter rye and wheat once and it is still going, though I expect it will stop here when we have the first heat wave.

 

 

IMG_4400 (Medium)

Before we cut the grass,weeds,wheat and winter rye.

Before we cut the grass,weeds,wheat and winter rye.