We purchased four khaki Campbell ducks the first week in March. You can read about that adventure here http://thesurvivalrevolution.com/?p=443 . After that adventure we settled them into their new washtub home. It took them about 2 hours to outgrow the tub. Next we moved them to a 110 gallon water tank. It didn’t take long before they were cramped and peeking over the top.
It was decided to put them in a small cage and build them a decent size grow out area. We were in the process of making a pen for Broody Hens, and used that for the ducks.
I had some cattle panels I picked up free off Craigslist by spending an afternoon taking down some old fencing and animal shelters. I really hate working with chicken wire so I cheated and made life simple by stapling the wire to a board and stretching it over cattle panels cut to length. I bent the panel wire and stapled it to an existing post on the chicken coop. Everything is sturdy. The only thing I will be doing is changing out the one T-post next to the gate and putting in another 4×4 post. It was getting late and I didn’t have the time or energy to get the other post free of nails and dig the hole.
We will probably stretch some bird netting over the area to keep out the wild birds since we will be open feeding some commercial feed to the chicks. We will also be adding a small pool to the area that drains downhill to a grow out area. I should have a video up soon on the new YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/MySurvivalRevolution